Before we get started on today’s super simple recipe, I want to explain why this is a “healthier” version of ice cream. I am certainly not claiming that this is a healthy food, but if you want a sweet treat, this is most definitely one of the better ways to go. For this recipe, I used coconut sugar as opposed to white refined sugar. If you’re counting calories and/or carbs, coconut sugar isn’t too helpful, but when it comes to other health benefits, I think you’ll find coconut sugar quite beneficial!
Here are a few “sweet” facts about coconut sugar:
- It contains less fructose than white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and agave nectar. Why is this important? Fructose is a type of sugar that your body converts to fat rather quickly. Fructose can only be broken down in your body by your liver. This results in high triglycerides!
- It is lower on the glycemic index than regular sugar. Coconut sugar is around a 35 while white sugar is between 60-75. This keeps your blood sugar from completely spiking to an unhealthy level.
- Coconut sugar actually contains trace amounts of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C, potassium, phosphorous, and magnesium to name a few. It also contains small amounts of phytonutrients and the B vitamin inositol which can, in a sense, be used as a natural mood booster.
- It contains inulin, which can be good for your gut!
- It is very Earth friendly-as coconut trees are highly sustainable
**Always, always, always check the label before you buy coconut sugar. Some coconut sugar is mixed with white refined or cane sugar. Those sneaky food companies!
While coconut sugar clearly has benefits over other sweeteners, I still recommend moderation. No sugar is good for your body if you overload it! But, sometimes, you gotta treat yo’self. And in those times, this homemade lemon ice cream is just the treat! You only need a few simple ingredients:
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 3-4 TBS coconut sugar (to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice, and additional few drops of lemon essential oil (if you like it extra lemony, which I do-and I order mine from here to make sure it is therapeutic grade)
All you have to do is put the ingredients in a tightly sealed container and shake shake shake! I shook for 2-3 minutes and you’ll notice the whipping cream start to grow in size. Then, stick the container in the freezer for a few hours until it’s ready to eat! That’s it!
For an additional treat, melt a cup of chocolate chips of choice with a small spoonful of coconut oil. Drizzle it over your ice cream and it will turn into a Magic Shell-without all the yucky ingredients (of which can include high fructose corn syrup which is basically poison..)
This ice cream recipe is so flexible, too! Leave out the lemon for a plain vanilla, or replace it with a little bit of cocoa for a chocolate ice cream. Or add in some blended strawberries. Or raspberries and chocolate chips. Or mint extract and chocolate chips. You get the picture! What will you make?